Tuesday, February 07, 2006

We all live in Denmark
































My mom taught me the story. The Nazi occupiers insisted that all Danish Jews wear the yellow star. The king of Denmark insisted that all Danes – beginning with himself – wear it. As we grow older, I learned that it didn’t exactly happen that way, though – in spirit – it did.

As a Jew and post 9/11 as an American, I understand what it means to be exposed, to be under attack. I’m not looking to play into some right-wing groupthink about the west vs. the Islamic world (though if Americans were to respond to Islamic terror the way many Muslims have responded to a few “offensive” cartoons, there would be no live Arabs left in the USA). I’m also not going to say that the Danish journalists did the “right” thing.

I’m just doing this in the spirit of King Christian X.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Klein said...

Alas, the legend of the Danes and the Yellow Star is not true--there are a number of cites on the Internet that tell the story of how that became known. (Trust me, I was VERY disappointed).

But I'm not disappointed by the truth--that the Danes united as a people and organized the evacuation of their Jews across the Oresund to neutral Sweden.

And with Denmark and its values under attack, I'm proud to wear my Danish flag pin.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home